Thursday, July 14, 2011

chapter 3 (still no name)

     The next couple days I spent my time pacing the cave, exploring outside and sleeping. There wasn't much to eat besides berries and the nights were cold, but I dealt. it would be worth it to finally meet the bastards who chained him up in this hellhole.
     The cave was near the top of a steep incline and at the bottom, there was a crick. It wasn't very wide but it was deep, rising up to my waste. It was my third day here and i smelled rank and was cover in dust from head to toe. I rinsed my clothes the best I could and lay down on the grass letting the sun dry me. It was nice. Basking in the sun, listening to the sounds of nature and relaxing in what felt like the first time in a long time. I sighed.
  I still had no idea where i was or how I'd gotten here. My memory is completely blank starting....when? I remember....walking......in the woods.
Yeah, that helped. Now I have a headache.
I opened my mouth wide in a yawn and gaged. Choking I spit over and over, trying to get rid of the taste of the bug I had just swallowed. Disgusting.  I ran my hand over my close cropped hair and had to untangle my fingers from the knots. It was a lost cause. There was no way I could get those mats out without a boat load of conditioner and some warm water. I stood and made my way back up into the cave. When I walked in I tried not to wince as he crunched on the bones of a small animal that was stupid enough to wander to close.We had an agreement, my wolf friend and I. I water him then let him be and he doesn't eat me while I stay in the cave.
    I walk to the back wall and inspect the metal plate that the chain was latched on to. The rock around it was covered in deep gouges from his claws, but the plate somehow survived the assault with only a few scratches. What I really wanted was to take a look at that demon collar around his neck, but I didn't dare get close enough to touch him. If his claws could do that to solid rock I'd hate to see what they could do to soft, pliable, flesh and blood animals like, well, me for example. I kneeled down and rested my head against the wall. The cold bite and the sharp edges of the stone were strangely reassuring. A light breeze blew into the cave and I started shivering. Jumping into the crick fully clothed defiantly wasn't my best idea. I curl up with my head on my arm and close my eyes. The scraping of his chain on the floor and the soft padding of his paws grow louder as he gets closer. I clench my teeth to keep them from chattering, and not from the cold.  He lays down in front of me, blocking most of the light from the cave mouth, and the wind that came in with it. I couldn't help but relax. It almost seemed as if he was protecting me from the wind. It was a stupid thought, but the idea of him sleeping did reassure me a little. He most likely wouldn't eat me in his sleep. No accounting for his dreams though.  I smiled at the thought of the brutes paws twitching in his sleep. Although, considering the prey......my smiled disappeared. His soft breathing and mossy smell drifted over me and I silently thanked him, drifting off into a deep sleep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I covered my ears, trying to block the loud rumbling that was echoing through the cave.
 I can't even sleep in while I'm stuck in the middle of freaking nowhere. How is that fare? I opened my eyes and was blinded by two bight circles then was plunged back into darkness with small glowing orbs coloring my vision. I blinked rapidly and sat up, trying to get my night vision back. The rumbling from before turned out to be my wolf buddy, who was currently crouching down and snarling threateningly at the lights. I squinted and saw that they were held by to people, a small woman and an extremely large man.
  "Now, now," crooned the woman in a delicate voice that had a down south feel to it,"is that any way to treat a guest?" A chill ran up my spine. "Just because you look like an animal doesn't mean you have to act like one."
  "He's just doin' it to get on your nerves." The man chimed in, " He didn't even eat the treat we got him, and she did smell so good. If your not gonna eat her, then let me have a bite." He took another step towards us and the wolf sidestepped so he was directly in front of me. Wait. Your going to protect me? I crouched on the balls of my feet waiting for them to make a move. no way were they going to catch me by surprise again. I only saw two people, so that was good.
  " Don't talk like that, you don't know what diseases you could catch from that, that thing. She doesn't even look human anymore." The woman huffed. I could practically feel the glare she shot at me burning holes in my skin.
  "What's the point of bringing you live meat if you're not going to eat her?" he said completely ignoring her. He sounded amused.
  "He's probably been turned to long, first refusing our gift then treating us so rudely.I'm sure the man in him has more class."
 "Man? He's still a cub yet."
As they bantered back and forth they slowly spread out, blocking any means of escape for me. I rose to my feet, securing my mask of board annoyance so they wouldn't see my fear. these people had tied him up in here, starved him half to death, then tried to feed me to him. Pissed didn't quite seem to cover what I was feeling at the moment. Blood pounded in my ears and I started to shake, my hands clenching into fists.
 "Who the hell are you?" My voice came out with more ice in it then I had expected.
The woman smiled and said," Why darlin', we're the executioners."
That's when all hell broke loose.
 The wolf leaped at them and their flashlights dropped to the ground, shattering and blanking out. All around me were snarls. I couldn't see at all and they were getting closer. I slowly backed up, feeling my way back towards the wall. When my back hit something solid, I froze. It was definitely not stone.
"Calm down." said a smooth voice. "I won't hurt you." His hands settled on my waste and I shivered. there was something about him. Something disturbing. I didn't want to stick around to find out what. Simioutaniouly I stomped down with my foot and elbowed him in the ribs as I pulled away from him. He snarled and threw me into the ground where I rolled till i hit the wall. He grabbed me by the neck and shoved me face first into the wall, one hand inbetween my shoulder blades. I struggled at first. but then I heard his voice. So calming. So gental.
"It's alright. Your safe. Come with me, be strong and loved and mine." I wanted to go with him. If I went with him I would be strong. I would be free and powerful. Respected. Of course I would go with him. There was nothing but him. Nothing at all but him and me and peace.
Suddenly I'm jerked and thrown. I hit the ground and am smothered in a mass of wet, hot fur. I struggle at first, trying to push it off of me, but the sound that comes from him stops me cold. I's so still, I don't even chance breathing. My head and face hurt, even more now than before, and I have a new ache. A burning sensation in the middle of my back.
The man from before says, "She will seek us out. She will be mine." His voice is cold now, with none of the gental strength it held before. I shiver. H sounded....pleased. After what seemed like an eternity, the wolf slowly raised himself off of me, sniffing the air. I took a breath, and tried not to choke on the hiar and wet dog smell.
 He backed off of me and sat down on the ground licking his wounds. The light of morning was just starting to illuminate the cave, enough that i could see it was covered in blood. He was,too.
I sat beside the wolf and watched the sun rise.
"We have got to get out of here."

No comments:

Post a Comment